Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Week of Firsts

Today I have a whole two hours to myself and I'm not sure what to do with myself. I guess I'll blog...


Abby started first grade on Monday. She was a little nervous, so I took her to school and picked her up that first day. The Friday before, we were able to go meet her teacher and learn a little about what to expect. She had to line up outside the building and I think she was worried she wouldn't get to the right place. Once we got there Monday morning, she found a couple of her friends that are in her class and was just fine.


Making the transition from kindergarten to 1st grade is a lot harder than the transition from preschool to kindergarten because of the major increase in time away from home. The have-to-eat-lunch-there thing makes it a little bigger also. I am making Abby's lunch, for the most part, but she has money in her account, so she can buy lunch when they are having something she likes. Today she was excited to be able to get pizza. Abby has a really good teacher and we are looking forward to all she will learn this year.


Seth had his first day of preschool today. He goes with his neighbor buddy, Eric. When his teacher had an open house a couple of weeks ago, I had to drag him literally kicking and screaming from the car and into her home. Once he got there, he was fine, and I've been talking it up a lot since then, so I'm hoping he will do OK. He was ready to go as soon as he woke up this morning. I offered to take him and pick him up, even though it wasn't my day for carpool, but he wanted to go with Eric, so I think he'll be just fine.


Now TJ is down for a nap and I'm not quite sure what to do. I guess I could dust, go weed the yard, pick up the playroom, organize my desk, clean some toilets... but, I think I'll just go read a good book!


Future Preschoolers, Ashton and TJ.

4 comments:

Burnside Family said...

My day of quiet will start next Tuesday at 12:30. I can't wait and am excited to read some good books.

Crystal said...

I can't believe Abby is in 1st grade! She's grown up to be such a pretty little lady.

Laurel said...

I got a little teary-eyed reading about Abby and Seth going off to school. How exciting for them, and for you - have fun with that little bit of time with just one kid!

young family said...

I love this time of year. Everyone is happy, all smiles.
Cute pictures.