Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The color of watermelon

I got a seedless watermelon at Costco today. I have had nothing but success in picking watermelon this year. I've been told that you are supposed to look for a large pale spot on the bottom of the watermelon which indicates that it has sat on the vine to ripen. After dinner I decided to cut up our watermelon for dessert and this is what I saw:



John took one look and told me I had to take it back to Costco to get a refund. (The picture doesn't show the color all that great - it is orange with a yellow tinge.) I was sorely disappointed in myself. Before spending the $4 in gas to take back a $6 watermelon, I decided to just taste it. To my utter surprise, it was the sweetest watermelon I've had this year! Maybe it crossed with a cantaloupe - so its actually a cantamelon or a waterloupe!?! It just goes to show you that you can't judge a watermelon by its color!

Jenni

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Haha! That totally looks like a cantaloupe. Glad it turned out yummy after all.

young family said...

Well as long as it tastes good :) I hate picking watermelons. I've knocked on a million of them and I am not sure what they are supposed to sound like and I have slapped them for that certain jiggle or whatever, but my all time favorite way to pick one out is to look for bee stings and to look for sap leaking out of the end where the vine was. Sometimes you just get a bad one.

Sea Star said...

That would be strange to cut up a watermelon expecting red and getting yellow orange. I am glad it tasted alright and you didn't have to take it back.

Annamarie said...

That is amazing! Is it all gone? I want to taste.

Burnside Family said...

Hey Jen How are you? An orange watermelon, who would have thought it would be good. we have to get together. we live so close now and yet never see each other

Blondie said...

You're right. There are lots of foods that you can't always judge by the color.
I once had some garlic that turned blue when I put lemon juice on it. It freaked me out so I had to do a google search to make sure I wasn't going to poison my family. Turns out that can happen sometimes.

It's great that your watermelon worked out. I've never been any good at selecting melons.