Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Our Cabin Trip


This past weekend we spent some time at our family cabin in Sanpete. My sister, Jody, and her two kids went with us, along with some of our neighbors. We had a relaxing, yet eventful time. Our cabin has this huge swing that is pretty hard to describe in words. You just have to experience it to get the full scope of "The Swing." You climb up to a platform that is about 20 feet up, climb onto a piece of wood tied to a rope and swing out over a slope. Maybe some of you who have been there can add some additional descriptions in the comments. Anyway, Abby, Seth and TJ have all been on the swing, although they had never climbed the platform and jumped off. This trip Abby and Seth both took the big leap! Abby first went with her cousin Melanie, and then ventured a jump on her own. Just before we were to leave, Seth decided to jump off with cousin, Melanie, but didn't have time to work up to jumping on his own. He says he'll do it this next week at our family reunion, so I'll let you know. I went off the platform once to fill my quota for the year.




My neighbor and friend, Jenalyn, took the plunge off the platform without incident the first time. The second time, she seemed concerned about running into the big tree to which the swing is attached. We told her she was fine, as she was actually swinging away from the tree, but during her dismount, she didn't let go of the rope and was dragged down the hill right into the tree! After I was sure she hadn't done major damage, I proceeded to laugh until I about peed my pants.


When we got to the cabin, it was pretty chilly, so my sister proceeded to TRY to start a fire. It had rained and all the kindling was pretty damp, so she struggled a bit. She started looking for some "scout juice" (lighter fluid), but could only find some lamp oil. She poured a little on the wood in the fireplace and then threw a match. The fireball that erupted from the fireplace was a sight to behold. Luckily, everyone's eyebrows and hair were intact and the cabin is still standing. I think Jody has learned her lesson about combustible versus flammable, and won't be doing that trick again.

We had a beautiful thunderstorm while we were there and it was the most beautiful that I have seen the mountain in August. There were tons of wildflowers still in bloom and millions of butterflies. I hope all you Andersons who read this post are planning on coming to the reunion this weekend!


It was a wonderful couple of days away from all the distractions that the world has. We read, played games, told stories, swung, hiked, and sang.

2 comments:

young family said...

Ok for some reason my blog thing isn't telling me when someone updates their blog. Lucky for me I was checking your blog to show my kids my Aunt Elma, and look a new blog :)

I love the swing and so do my kids. We made them go off when they were little. We initiated them the old fashioned way and dropped them (did you do it that way). Once you go up the ladder the only way down is by swing :) Boy does that bring back memories.

I went to the cabin by myself one year, just me and a friend and a bunch of kids and we couldn't get the generater going. But we had a good time anyway :)

Laurel said...

All I can say is that that swing is what separates the boys from the men (and the girls from the women). I think I filled my quota for a lifetime by going off it once.