Friday, September 5, 2008

All about gardening

This summer has been a year of learning for me in the area of gardening. Things I've learned:
--Don't plant tomatoes too close together
--Birds love strawberries
--Tomatoes ripen on their own time
--Children love to pick things whether they're ripe or not
Here are some photos of my garden:


This is a good view of my tomatoes. John made this cute fence to keep the kiddos from walking on the garden and picking too soon. We didn't count on the tomatoes growing up and out.

This is a view of my strawberry and raspberry patch. I only had one of the four raspberry plants I planted last year come back, but five of the six I planted this year seem to be doing great.

This is just a cluster of tomatoes - still very green.


These raspberries are on one of the shoots from the plant I planted last year. I have about 8 shoots that are loaded with berries - I can hardly wait until they are ripe!!!



This is one of the first of my large tomatoes to ripen. Abby says it looks like a heart. John says it looks like a butt... what do you think? Take the poll at the end of my blog roll to voice your opinion.

3 comments:

Grandma Sally said...

Grandpa would be so proud of you. Keep up the good work. It will be worth it (except for the strawberries...the bugs and birds seem to get them first)
We finally pulled our bean vines. If you like green beens, the best I've found are Slenderette bush beans. They are as good as grandpa's pole beans!
Love ya,

Laurel said...

I voted for the siamese twin tomato (sorry, was this supposed to be a blind sample?) and just tell John that this is a family blog and to keep his scatalogical humor to himself.

young family said...

Your garden looks great. I love tomatoes fresh from the garden, YUMMY!! Makes me hungry.